- Length Overall: 86′ Beam: 18’8″ Draft: 9’5″ Displacement: 137.5 tons
- Cruising Speed: 8 knots Main Engine: 4 cylinder Atlas 9×12 diesel, 110 h.p. at 300 r.p.m.
- Fuel: 3,000 gallons Fresh Water: 1000 gallons with R.O. water maker
- Range: 4,000 nautical miles Accommodations: up to 11 passengers
- Built by: Martinolich Shipyard, Vashon Island, Washington, for Alaska Hunting & Fishing Company, 1924
- Designed by: Ted Geary
All cabins on the MV Westward are outfitted with a double (4’6″ w x 6’8″ l) and a single (2’6″ w x 6’6″ l) bunk, a settee, sink, toilet and shower.
Follow MV Westward
Built 1924 Vashon Island, WA
Length 86’ Beam 18.5’ Draft 9’
Powered by original Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine
MV WESTWARD was designed by the renowned northwest naval architect L.E. “Ted” Geary and built at the J.A. Martinolich Shipyard in Dockton, Washington. The WESTWARD was modeled after a salmon cannery tender and constructed—around a 1923 Atlas engine. She was launched in 1924 as the flagship of the Alaska Coast Hunting and Cruising Co. and pioneered hunting, fishing, and adventure travel in the remote regions of Washington, British Columbia and Alaska.
WESTWARD and Alaska Coast served a noteworthy clientele of hunters and fishermen for nearly twenty years. Distinguished guests included Bing Crosby, Walt Disney, George Eastman, A.C. Gilbert, E.F. Hutton and Marjorie Merriweather Post, Paul Mellon, Richard K. Mellon, Hal Roach, Rudolph Schilling, John Wayne, Dean Witter, and numerous other VIP’s of the era.
During WW II, WESTWARD served as a patrol boat off the California coast before returning to the Pacific Northwest where she operated another twenty years, as both private yacht and charter vessel, for two different owners.
In 1967 WESTWARD was purchased by a California couple, Donald G. and Anna Louise Gumpertz and moved to Los Angeles. From this new homeport WESTWARD cruised the world extensively, including a 47,000 mile circumnavigation of the globe from 1970 to 1976.
WESTWARD was purchased by Hugh Reilly and returned to the Pacific Northwest in 1993 to resume her career as a charter and expedition vessel operating in southeast Alaska. The charter business was sold to Bill and Shannon Bailey, along with the other expedition vessel, M.V. CATALYST. Hugh Reilly retained ownership of the WESTWARD.
Hugh Reilly has WESTWARD’S hull extensively rebuilt in 2005 – 2006 to mitigate the impact of more than eighty year’s operation and to ensure her vitality for a second century. Then he and his wife, Teresa, circumnavigated the Pacific Ocean from 2007 – 2008. WESTWARD continued to be used as a personal yacht for his family until December 2012.
In December 2012, Bill and Shannon Bailey, of Pacific Catalyst II, purchased her for use in their adventure travel business. She is now ported in Friday Harbor, WA alongside the M.V. CATALYST once again.
WESTWARD remains dependably powered by her original Atlas Imperial Diesel Engine and has benefitted from continuous upgrades to her engine, systems, structure, and accommodations. She is listed with the US National Register of Historic Places, having her life well documented through the efforts of Hugh Reilly and John Sabella, as to her contribution to maritime history in the Pacific Northwest and the United States of America.
Short clip about the Westward and her history and her association with the Catalyst.